Tuesday 4 March 2008

Seven things people don't know about me (until now)

I've been challenged by Jacqui Boyd Allen to write seven things people don't know about me. It's taken me about a week to think of that many. Actually I can only think of six and I hope I'll come up with another one by the end of the post.

1 I've worked in publishing as a designer since 1980. One of my ancestors from way back in the 19th century, Stephen Knight, was a publisher himself. I've no idea what kind of things he published and only the vaguest idea on how to find out. Paying a visit to the Public Records Office in Kew might be a good start.

2 My Dad was keen for me to follow him into teaching which has never appealed to me. But I have followed his interest in typography and calligraphy. When he was about nine years old his teacher taught him calligraphy the way monks use to do it and when he was about 16 years old he became very interested at school in printing and typesetting which has been my interest for the last 30 years.

3 The first thing I can remember designing and making was cardboard flip flops when I was about 10 years old. My friend Susan's Dad use to scoff at this but it amused the two of us during the summer holidays. We use to stand on some cardboard and draw round our feet. Then cut out the shapes and stick straps over the top to keep them on and then decorate them with glitter and stuff. When they fell apart we just made new ones. I remember it being great fun.

4 I enjoy political cartoons because they combine my interest in art and current affairs.

5 I prefer travelling around London by bus rather than tube because I like looking out of the window and watching the world go by. If I'm on the tube I'm more likely to study the people around me.

6 Since 1989 I have been studying meditation, intermittently, with the Arica School.

7 The older I get the more irritating I find music.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

I preferred the bus when I lived in London and I hated the railway for commuting. When I lived in Thamesmead, I used to get the express bus into work as it was never crowded, had limited stops and took a reasonable amount of time so I could read on the way there or back. By the time the journey ended I was relaxed, believe it or not.

Funny, as I get older the more I know about music. My Dad was a huge James Last fan and I hated it. My husband and Kids love music of all kind. They always have guess the artist in the car and through that I have actually learnt to listen to music. Now my favourite time is in my studio with the radio or CD going on in the background.

Heather James said...

I've just realised that I've contradicted myself in two different blogs. I devoted one posting to raving about Stan Tracey and then at the end of this one I've admitted that music drives me mad.

So to clarify this I mean I like live music and not recorded music.