Thursday 5 December 2013

Public art 5: Man with open arms

 Bronze statue by Giles Penny 1995
I don't know if this statue has an actual name. There's no explanatory information nearby and I only found out the name of the artist after a quick trawl on the internet.

Anyway, it is sited near One Canada Square or, as it is more commonly known, Canary Wharf. Privately I've always called it 'Exuberance' and the sight of it always makes me smile and feel uplifted. When I worked in the area it used to remind me that there is life outside offices.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On his site, he calls it almost exactly the same, http://www.gilespenny.co.uk/GilesPenny/Large_Sculpture_files/man%20with%20arms%20open.jpg

Some of his work is quite humourous. I especially like the one where the man is doing a monty python step. Agreed with you about the feeling. Reminds me of the times I have look up at the stars and realised how amazing life is and how much we really don't know about this cosmos. I have actually stood there with my arms wide open like that as I marvel at all the beauty above us.

Heather James said...

I've just had a look at Giles Penny's site and love his sculpture. I especially liked his 'man and animal' but the others were great too.